Friday, September 14, 2012

Breaking and Entering



Hey Everyone,                                            

        So this week I was helping by discarding their unwanted electronics while removing any of their data from different sources. One of these such sources was a 500GB Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 2.0 external Hard Drive (WD5000HU1). So as I begin to get things setup, I noticed......no power! So, I reach out to them and they proceed to explain that during their move it has been LOST!!!! This basically makes the external hard drive a Electronic waste paperweight, which of course everyone should have on their home and office desks. So, after some quick research I found out that you can easily pick up a new power supply for $10-$15. However, I didn't feel like spending the money just to erase the data SO, this was going to be my next small project. For anyone facing this situation and they really like their external drive I recommend either purchasing the power cord or later on they could purchase a SATA to USB external enclosure to put the hard drive in. That being said, for those who either need a last resort or a taste of destructive fun, I decided to dig in to take this item apart.

So this model doesn't have any external screws holding the chassis together, it is just plastic tabs concealed by the cover. I took a small Flat-Head screwdriver and slowly pried open the small plastic interior section as shown, and moved to the top and bottom of the device. I completed one side of the device, then finished the other side.











Once I had the two pieces separated, I then slid them apart while occasional needing to seperate them when they catch.


Looking at the bottom of the hard drive I found the PowerBoard that connected to the hard drive allowing the device to connect through USB, and removed the two screws.


 
 
After the PowerBoard is removed, I then removed the interior plastic cover by swinging it around the hard drive like a door until it detatched from the drive. I then removed four screws holding the hard drive to the metal bracket.
 
 
And here are all the parts disassembled.
 
So, now I can place the SATA drive in a external enclosure or in a system and erase all the data as needed. My plan is to install this drive as storage for my new Windows 8 system but, maybe I'll end utilizing it some other way. In any case, I had fun tearing things apart and as always Be Blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You've heard my opinion, let's hear yours, I'm listening. :-)