Thursday, August 16, 2012

Replacing LCD Display in Compaq Presario CQ56

As I mentioned in my previous post, today I worked on my sisters laptop to replace the LCD display. Apparently, in the middle of the night, my sister decided to use her laptop as slippers and not only cracked the display but also the corner of the top chassis.

Here's some pictures of what it looked like before I replaced the display. 
The screen is cracked in an arc so all of the light blue is caused by the crack.
 
I thought it was funny because it almost looked like the laptop was frowning, especially when the dark purple and black was along the entire crack.

The one thing I found hilarious is how difficult it was to match the laptop with getting the right part. It was almost like they were trying to prevent me from repairing it, LOL. Unlike most manufacturers, this system didn't have the serial number or Part Number on the bottom of the laptop, nor in the system OS for the best I could tell. After some Internet research, I discovered how to pull up the system information (by pressing the function key (FN), and Escape (ESC), then off the serial number I had to do more research to
discover the exact part I needed, which is (CQ56-115DX) for those who could find it helpful. We purchased the part from Vivo Technology using Amazon for around $60, and I plan on making them my goto company for any other system repairs that come up. Here's there link http://www.vivotechnology.net/ , check them out for some quality products.

Okay, so here is the crazy thing about this repair. I do not understand why manufactures design systems where it is difficult to replace simple components. In MOST systems, the display can be replaced by simply removing the screws along the edge of the display, the Dell laptops I typically work on our very easy to access....not so with this system. Compaq/HP designed this system where the screws are behind the backside of the chassis and cannot be accessed without risk of striping the screws. I had to disassemble the entire laptop just to remove the screws holding the display chassis together, check out the pic.
 

After removing 7-keyboard screws, 10 chassis screws, hard drive access panel and two chassis screws underneath that, memory/wireless access panel and one screw, removing the keyboard and a screw underneath it, then disconnect the data cable for multiple devices i finally had access to remove the hinge just enough to access the screws in the display chassis.


Finally, I switched the display and put everything back as it was, with no "spare" parts. ;-)

Ta DA!!! It's all beautiful again!!


My sister was thrilled to have her laptop like new again and saved a lot of money in the process. For info on all the steps needed to replace the display or other parts on the Compaq Presario CQ56 check out this link that I used as a reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNT9XdBpN0

Until next time, Be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You've heard my opinion, let's hear yours, I'm listening. :-)